Wednesday, June 4, 2008

First Contact

(AP Photo / Gleison Miranda, Funai)
I read about these people the other day and was amazed.

It's hard to imagine people still alive on this planet who haven't been contacted in some way by modern civilization. Maybe they did many, many years ago and completely rejected it.

I saw some sort of special on TV once that showed a scientist (I'm assuming an anthropologist) and a film crew made contact with a tribe of people who had never encountered white people before. It was interesting.

A first the people were afraid of the men and their equipment. Then as they got a little more comfortable and closer to the men, they wiped their hands on the men's faces to see if they could wipe the white off.

It's amazing to think about in this modern world that we live in that a person in Western North Carolina could sit at a computer and blog about a group of people in Brazil/Peru that have no idea what a computer is, or a blog, or even any concept that there is a Western North Carolina.

Anyway, I hope they're left alone, which I guess is what these guys are trying to do.

No comments: